본문 바로가기
현장 이야기

영어 연설로 기립 박수받은 신지애

페이지 정보

작성자 곽중철 이름으로 검색 작성일09-11-22 09:45 조회3,700회 댓글0건

본문

영어 연설로 기립 박수받은 신지애
 연합뉴스        입력 : 2009.11.22 00:20 / 수정

미국여자프로골프(LPGA) 투어 2009시즌 신인왕과 상금왕을 확정 짓고 올해의 선수, 최저타수, 다승왕도 노리고 있는 ’골프 지존’ 신지애(21.미래에셋)가 이번엔 ’명연설가’로 기립 박수를 받았다.

신지애는 21일(한국시간) 미국 텍사스주 휴스턴의 메리어트 호텔에서 열린 2009 LPGA 투어 시상식에 나와 신인상을 받은 뒤 영어로 약 5분 남짓 인사말 전했다.

연설을 시작하며 LPGA 마티 에반스 커미셔너 대행, 마이클 완 차기 커미셔너 내정자, 스폰서들에게 인사말을 전한 신지애는 “로레나(오초아)도 이번 주 좋은 성적을 내기를 바란다”고 말해 딱딱하던 분위기를 가볍게 만들었다.

오초아와 올해의 선수, 최저타수, 다승왕 등 3개 부문에서 마지막 경쟁을 하고 있는 상황이기 때문에 “좋은 성적을 내기 바란다”는 말에 일부 참석자들이 웃음을 터뜨린 것이다.

이어 신지애는 “1998년 박세리가 US여자오픈에서 우승한 것이 내 인생을 바꿔놨다. 그전에는 얌전하고 조용한 편이었지만 골프를 하면서 나 자신을 표현할 수 있게 됐다”고 소개하며 “골프는 인생을 함께하는 친구면서 넘어야 할 산”이라고 말했다.

가족에 대한 사랑을 밝히는 부분에서는 분위기가 숙연해졌다. 동생 지원, 지훈과 새어머니에 대한 감사의 뜻을 먼저 밝힌 신지애는 이어 2003년 교통사고로 먼저 세상을 떠난 어머니에 대한 이야기를 꺼냈다.

신지애는 우리 말로 “엄마”라고 부른 뒤 다시 영어를 통해 “사랑하고 보고 싶어요. 항상 내 가슴 속에 함께 계시다는 것을 알고 있어요”라고 말했다.

아버지(신제섭 씨)에 대해서도 “항상 저를 위해 희생하시고 또 저에게 많은 영감과 사랑을 주시는 분”이라며 분위기를 무겁게 만들어가던 신지애는 “그러나 스트레스도 조금 주시는 분”이라고 말해 다시 참석자들의 폭소를 자아냈다.

신지애의 연설이 끝나자 참석자들은 약속이라도 한 듯 자리에서 일어나 박수를 보냈으며 행사가 끝난 뒤에는 하나둘씩 신지애에게 다가와 “훌륭한 연설이었다”거나 “정말 감동적이었다”고 인사를 했다.

신지애는 “영어 연설이라 연습을 많이 했다. 준비를 한다고 했지만 굉장히 떨렸다”며 웃어 보였다.

신지애의 미국 매니저를 맡고 있는 양영의 씨는 “어제 1라운드 끝나고도 연습을 많이 했고 오늘도 마찬가지였다”고 소개하며 “캘리포니아주 로스앤젤레스에서 변호사로 일하고 있는 제프 노튼 변호사가 직접 휴스턴까지 와서 연설에 많은 도움을 줬다”고 숨은 공로자를 소개하기도 했다. 

곽중철 (2009-11-22 09:53:08) 

필자는 지난 몇 년간 영어의 비결이 조기유학보다는 자신의 전공분야에 통달하는 것이라고 주장해 왔다. 이명박 대통령이 그랬고, 김연아가 그랬고 박지성이 그랬다. 또 영어는 우선 모국어를 잘하는 말재주에 달렸다고도 말했다. 이번에 신지애가 이를 증명해 주었다. 신지애는 김연아처럼 우리말을 할 때도 생글생글 웃으며 재치있게 말한다. 세계 최고가 됐으니 모든 사람들이 그녀에게 귀기울이며 이해하려고 애쓰는 마당에 영어라고 잘 못할 이유가 없다. 앞으로 더욱 영어를 잘 하게 될 것으로 확신한다... 

곽중철 (2009-12-04 16:28:34) 

Shin, Ji-Ae’s Acceptance Speech
 2009 Louise Suggs Rolex LPGA Rookie of the Year
 November 21, 2009
 Merriot Hotel, Houston, Texas

Thank you Commissioner Evans for your kind introduction. Welcome Commissioner Whan, Good Luck to you in your new job. I also want to wish Lorena Ochoa good luck this weekend. And thank you to Rolex for their support of the LPGA.
 I play on the LPGA because the best golfers in the world play here. Our game is exciting, we have great tournaments in great cities with loyal sponsors who make it possible for the world to see that women can play golf at the highest level.. We all know that the world economy has had an impact on the LPGA. However, compared to the hard struggles that our founders, like Louise Suggs went through, these are the best of times and for that we should be thankful.

We are here today because of the glory of our legends; names like Suggs and Wright, Carner and Whitworth,
 Lopez and Sheehan, Sorenstam and Webb, Inkster and Ochoa and Se Ri Pak. It is on their behalf that I accept the 2009 Louise Suggs Rolex LPGA Rookie of the Year.

Golf began for me after Se Ri’s win in the 1998 U.S. Open. She made our country of Korea proud and it changed my life. I was always a quiet and shy girl, but playing golf allowed me to express myself boldly. In golf I have made lifelong friends and climbed high mountains, I battled hard and painful times and I have enjoyed success beyond my dreams.
 You may not believe me, but on the golf course I am very tall. 2009 has truly been a very special year. I am so lucky to be able to play the game that I love. In addition to my fellow golfers on tour this year, there are many others that I want to thank I am very thankful to have a great sponsor, Mirae Asset Global Investment.

My caddy is great too and I share this award with Dean. I would not be here without the lessons from my coach Steve McRae. To my management, Sema, Young E, and my good friend Geoffrey, thank you for your support.
 I also give thanks to my sister, Ji Won, my brother, Ji Hoon, and my step mom, Young Ai, your love and support makes me so happy.

My Mother passed away in 2003 and this day is for her. Umma, I love you and miss you; I know in my heart that you are always here with me. To my Father, I know you are proud of me. But I want you to know how proud I am of you. You sacrifice for me, you inspire me, you give me your love and sometimes a little stress. I could not ask for more. I am proud to be your daughter.

To HSBC, Wegman’s and P&G Beauty, NorthWest Arkansas. I look forward to returning in 2010 as your defending Champion. When I hit the golf ball, like other players, it is never just for me. We all have family, coaches and fans that we play for. But we also play for important causes, for kids in hospitals looking for a cure,
 for women fighting breast cancer, for the hungry and the homeless. And some of us play for little quiet and shy girls, who wear glasses, with songs in their hearts looking for a chance to sing. To those little girls I say: do not be afraid to dream big. You too can grow up and even become the Louise Suggs Rolex LPGA Rookie of the Year. As the Lord says in Book of Isaiah “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee.
 So, with God’s great blessings with the love and caring of family and friends, with the heritage built by our past champions and with the continued support of our wonderful sponsors and fans, we close the book on the 2009 season and prepare for the great golf that will be played on the LPGA in 2010.
 Thank you for being here tonight to celebrate this great moment for me and my family.
 May God bless you. 

곽중철 (2009-12-31 14:14:36) 

'골프 대디' 신제섭(50)씨가 내년 초 출간할 신지애의 21년을 담은 책 원고에는 아버지와 딸만 아는 얘기들이 담겨 있다.(조선일보 2009.12.31 펌)
 (중략)
신지애는 시즌 마지막 대회인 'LPGA투어 챔피언십' 대회 기간에 열렸던 2009년 LPGA 신인상 수상식에서 영어 연설로 기립박수를 받는다. 신제섭씨에 따르면 "미국인 변호사가 몇달 전부터 (신지애가) 신인상을 타게 되면 자기가 연설문을 작성하고 싶다고 했고, 시상식장까지 오셔서 지애의 연설을 지도해주기도 했다"고 한다.

신지애는 이날 연설에서 "저를 낳아주신 엄마는 2003년에 세상을 떠나셨습니다. 오늘은 저희 엄마를 위한 날입니다. 엄마(한국말로), 너무 사랑하고 그립습니다"라고 애틋한 심정을 털어놓았다. 마음이 찡해진 신제섭씨는 이어진 딸의 연설에서 결국 눈물을 흘리고 말았다. "아버지, 항상 저를 자랑스럽게 생각하신다는 것을 잘 알고 있습니다…. 가끔은 약간의 스트레스를 주시는 분이긴 하지만 더 이상 바랄 게 없습니다. 아빠의 딸이라는 게 너무 자랑스럽습니다."

이런 딸에게 신제섭씨는 책 원고에 이렇게 썼다. "세계가 (지애를) 인정하고 목표를 거의 이루었기 때문에, 이제 내년에는 즐기면서 플레이 하라고 자신 있게 말할 수 있다."

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.